McIlroy Center for Science and Innovation
The McIlroy Center for Science and Innovation opened in 2018 as the stunning new home of the Senior School Science Department. The building's construction was made possible by the fundraising efforts of The Campaign for Shady Side.
- 10 flexible classroom/lab spaces for physics, biology and chemistry, featuring college-level lab equipment
- Special project room adjacent to faculty offices, separated by a glass partition, giving students supervised access to research space throughout the school day
- Keefe Ellis Commons area provides a comfortable space for students to study or hang out between classes, and serves as an ideal spot for receptions and small events
- Gold LEED certified "green" building with sustainable features that reduce environmental impact while creating teaching opportunities, such as a rooftop solar array and monitoring system, and a rain garden to collect storm runoff.
- Outdoor amphitheater provides an ideal interdisciplinary space for classes, performances and guest lectures