Parent Education Programs
Shady Side Academy is committed to offering annual parent education programs to provide support, resources and guidance to parents. Programs are free, and many are open to the public.
The Social Institute + Shady Side Academy:
Parent Webinar on Social Media, Technology and Social-Emotional Health
Monday, Dec. 14, 2020 • 7-8:30 p.m.
Register for the Zoom Webinar
Shady Side Academy has partnered with The Social Institute (TSI) to help our students navigate challenges related to social media, technology and social-emotional health.
SSA PK-12 parents are invited to join us for a refreshing, practical and eye-opening presentation about parenting in the digital age, featuring TSI founder and CEO, Laura Tierney. Laura will share the latest updates and best practices to:
- Strengthen communications with your children through student-respected conversation starters about social media and technology.
- Empower students to navigate social-emotional health, social media, and technology during this uncertain time.
- Discuss concerns related to the pandemic, while learning insights shared by students and researchers.
- Develop shared family standards for balancing technology in healthy ways.
- Inspire everyday use of important lessons that 5th-12th grade students will learn during Advisory.
Register online today for this dynamic and informative session!
About the Social Institute
The Social Institute partners with schools nationwide to empower students, parents and educators to navigate social-emotional health, social media, and technology positively through comprehensive, gamified lessons that meet students on their level. By reinforcing character strengths like empathy, integrity, and teamwork and by showcasing their role models (from parents to U.S. Olympians), we help students be their best selves to “win at social” — social interactions and social media. As digital natives and parents ourselves, we bridge the needs of students and parents. Learn more.
- Glenn Hall - How to Talk to Your Kids About Drugs & Alcohol - Dec. 16, 2019
- Julie Lythcott-Haims - How to Raise an Adult - Oct. 17, 2019
- Dr. Deborah Gilboa - The Expectation Gap - Jan. 9, 2019
- Dr. Suniya Luthar - Youth in High Achieving Schools: Preliminary Findings on Shady Side Academy Students - Nov. 27, 2018
- Dr. Suniya Luthar - Privileged & Pressured: The Risks of Growing Up in an Affluent Community - Apr. 3, 2018
- Dr. Sameer Hinduja - Cyberbullying & Unwise Social Media Use - Jan. 9, 2018
- John Tummon - Talking to Your Children About Alcohol & Drugs - Dec. 11, 2017
- Alexander Heffner - The Future of Civil Discourse - March 7, 2017
- Screenagers - Documentary Screening - Feb. 23, 2017
- Dr. Catherine Steiner-Adair - The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age - Nov. 9, 2016
- Rosetta Lee - Parenting With Identity in Mind - April 5, 2016
- Dr. David Delmonico - Digital Health & Safety - Jan. 23, 2016
- Most Likely to Succeed - Documentary Screening - Jan. 4, 2016
- Nancy Gruver - Communicating With Your Growing Daughter - Oct. 12, 2015
- Susan Harchelroad - The Effects of Binge Drinking - March 6, 2015
- Joel Feldman - Distracted Driving: What Every Parent Should Know - Nov. 18, 2014
- David Streight - What the Experts Say About Raising Good Kids - Oct. 13, 2014
- Dr. Michael Rich - Finding Huck Finn: Reclaiming Childhood From a River of Electronic Screens - Sept. 17, 2014
- Dr. Leonard Sax - Instagram Is Eating My Daughter and My Son Won't Stop Playing Grand Theft Auto - Dec. 2, 2013
- Everything Is Fine - Teen Dating Violence Awareness Play - Oct. 4, 2012
- Miss Representation - Documentary Screening - March 8, 2012
- Race to Nowhere - Documentary Screening - Nov. 4, 2010
- Dr. JoAnn Deak - Aug. 25, 2009
- Dr. Robert Brooks - Raising Resilient Children & Adolescents- Aug. 24, 2008