Parent Communications Guide
- Parent communication at SSA is primarily sent via email.
- It is critical that SSA has up-to-date parent email addresses in our Veracross database, which feeds all other SSA systems (website, email, S-Book directory, School Messenger, Canvas, VC Pay etc.)
- Household profile information can be updated anytime through the Veracross Parent Portal.
NEWSLETTER & EMAIL
- Bulldog Bulletin Parents’ Newsletter – Our primary parent communications tool. Emailed every Wednesday when school is in session. Alternates between school-specific reminders issues and all-academy good news issues. A one-stop shop for parent info! Issues are archived online here and you can suggest a newsletter item online here.
- School & Academy Emails – School and academy offices send periodic emails to parents about things like events, summer & after-school programs, health & safety, report cards, etc.
- Teacher/Coach Emails – PK-5 parents receive a weekly Friday email update from their child’s homeroom teacher and occasional emails from homeroom parents. Middle and Senior School parents receive periodic updates from their child’s advisor, and when sports are in season, a weekly email from a coach. Teachers will email parents directly about individual students when needed. Email is the best way to reach a teacher.
WEBSITE & PORTAL
- Parents Section of the Website – A centralized hub of helpful information and resources for current parents. Visit www.shadysideacademy.org/parents or click “Parents” at the top right of any page.
- Veracross Parent Portal – Log in to the Veracross Parent Portal to access secure information such as the S-Book directory, household information, health forms, report cards, and more.
SHADY SIDE MOBILE APP (iOS & ANDROID)
- Easy mobile access to SSA news, directory, calendar, athletic schedules and more.
- Sign in with your Veracross Parent Portal login to access S-Book parent & student directories (faculty & staff directory is accessible without login).
WEATHER & EMERGENCY NOTIFICATIONS
- SSA uses School Messenger to alert families of weather delays/closures and emergencies via phone call, text alert and email. Notices are also posted on the SSA website, Facebook, Twitter, weather hotline, and local TV station websites.
- Parents receive School Messenger alerts by default to contact info in Veracross, with no sign-up required. For more information, visit the Weather & Emergency Notifications page.
- Shady Side Academy is very active on social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Follow SSA on your favorite platform and like, share and comment on our posts!