On Saturday, Jan. 8, the Shady Side Academy Middle School Science Olympiad team placed third out of 68 teams in Division B (grades 6-9) at the virtual Westlake Invitational.
The following students received awards in their events:
- Alex Bi and Shaurya Gulati: 2nd place for Anatomy
- Ethan Chen and Shaurya Gulati: 2nd place for Crime Busters
- Sophia Gombos and Evan Xiang: 2nd place for Meteorology
- Chloe Wang: 4th place for Botany
- Jeffrey Brunner, Alex Bi: 4th place for Bridges
- Ethan Hou, Evan Xiang: 5th place for Dynamic Planet
- Neyla Hinedi: 5th place for Mission Possible
- Claudia Iannetti and Hanna Singhi: 5th place for Rocks and Minerals
- Hanna Singhi, Evan Xiang: 5th place for Storm the Castle
- Anna Litster and Hanna Singhi: 5th place for Write It Do It
- Evey Fuhrman: 6th place for Botany
- Jeffrey Brunner and Ellie Laman: 6th place for Mousetrap Vehicle
- Sophia Gombos, Evan Xiang: 8th place for Electric Wright Stuff
- Ethan Hou, Hanna Singhi and Evan Xiang: 8th place for Experimental Design
- Ethan Chen and Shaurya Gulati: 8th place for Food Science
Science Olympiad is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers.
Congratulations to the team and their coaches, Middle School science teachers Bonnie Maxwell, Matt Brunner and Paul Waked, as well as Chris Erler.