Forty-eight Shady Side Academy students in grades 8-12 won 2022 regional Scholastic Art & Writing Awards for 113 original works, including 21 Gold Keys, 32 Silver Keys and 60 Honorable Mentions.
Twenty students won 58 art awards from the Pittsburgh Arts Region: 13 Gold Keys, 9 Silver Keys and 36 Honorable Mentions. Regional art winners will be recognized at an awards ceremony Saturday, March 19, at 1 p.m. at Seneca Valley Senior High School.
Thirty-two students won 55 writing awards from the Western PA Writing Project at the University of Pittsburgh: 8 Gold Keys, 23 Silver Keys and 24 Honorable Mentions. Although no awards ceremony will be held, regional writing winners will be invited to read their work on the Saturday Light Brigade radio program. Four students won awards in both art and writing.
Ten SSA students won Gold Keys for 21 works that will advance to the national competition. Three of the Gold Key works also were nominated for American Visions or American Voices medals, the highest honor given to one artist and one writer per region, respectively. National and American Visions/Voices medals will be announced in March 2022.
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards is the nation's longest-running, most prestigious recognition program for creative teens. Teens in grades 7-12 can apply in 28 categories of art and writing, and submissions are judged regionally and nationally by panels of creative industry experts. The 2022 national medalists will be announced in March. Learn more at www.artandwriting.org/awards/.
Gold Key Winners & American Visions Nominees in Art
- Sophomore Julia Dlugosz – Gold Key in Sculpture for Never a Boring Moment
- Sophomore Jinny Guo – 2 Gold Keys in Photography for Peking Duck and Antique Store
- Sophomore Sophia Jho – Gold Key in Drawing & Illustration for Adrift; Gold Key in Painting for Korean Fish Market
- Senior Crystal Ma – Gold Key in Painting for Masked in Monotone; Gold Key and American Visions Nominee in Fashion for Plastic Biosphere, 2 Gold Keys in Mixed Media for Room at Sundown and Shock in Fabric; Gold Key in Drawing & Illustration for Table of Creation
- Junior Maria Schwendeman – Gold Key and American Visions Nominee in Painting for Affection
- Junior Larry Wang – Gold Key in Digital Art for Bird in Cage; Gold Key in Jewelry for bird and rose
Gold Key Winners & American Voices Nominees in Writing
- Eighth grader Ethan Chen – Gold Key in Critical Essay for Flint, Michigan: A Disaster and a Beacon of Hope
- Eighth grader Zoe Cunicelli – Gold Key in Personal Essay/Memoir for Blood Does Not Define Family
- Eighth grader Akshay Lath – Gold Key and American Voices Nominee in Personal Essay/Memoir for Problem Fifteen
- Junior Hannah Song – Gold Key in Personal Essay/Memoir for Pink Ribbons; Gold Key in Critical Essay for The Absence of Women's Rights in the French Revolution
- Senior Melody Yuan – Gold Key in Personal Essay/Memoir for Chinese Hyphen American
- Senior Anker Zhao – Gold Key in Journalism for National Security Versus Individual
- Freshman Sunny Zhao – Gold Key in Short Story for azure, violet, ivory
View photos of the Gold Key-winning artwork below:
Congratulations to all of our student award winners, and good luck to our Gold Key winners in the national competition!