The Shady Side Academy boys and girls swimming teams won medals (top eight) in five events and placed in the top 16 in nine events at the 2019-2020 WPIAL Class 2A Championships, held at the University of Pittsburgh's Trees Pool on Feb. 27-28.
The SSA girls team placed 10th overall with 87.5 points, winning medals for top eight finishes in two events:
- 4th place, 200 medley relay: freshman Chloe Wells, senior Maya Groff, sophomore Alexandra Jaffe, sophomore Kira Meyers – 1:54.85
- 4th place, 100 breaststroke: Maya Groff – 1:07.36
The girls also placed in the top 16 in six events:
- 9th place, 100 butterfly: Alexandra Jaffe - 1:01.52
- 9th place, 400 freestyle relay: Alexandra Jaffe, junior Ashley Chu, Kira Meyers, Maya Groff - 3:50.05
- 12th place, 200 individual medley: Maya Groff - 2:19.86
- 13th place, 100 breaststroke, sophomore Crystal Ma: 1:13.18
- 14th place, 200 freestyle relay: Ashley Chu, Chloe Wells, junior Emory Anderson, Crystal Ma - 1:48.33
- 16th place, 100 freestyle: Alexandra Jaffe - 57.30
The boys team placed 11th overall with 81 points, earning medals for top eight finishes in three events:
- 4th place, 100 butterfly: Stefan Stratimirovic – 53.79
- 5th place, 100 freestyle: Stefan Stratimirovic – 48:89
- 6th place, 200 medley relay: freshman Kevin Johnson, junior Andrew Liu, junior Stefan Stratimirovic, senior Sean Kelley – 1:43.89
The boys also placed in the top 16 in three events:
- 9th place, 200 freestyle relay, Stefan Stratimirovic, senior Will Roberson, Kevin Johnson, Sean Kelly - 1:34.67
- 13th place, 50 freestyle: Sean Kelley - 23.00
- 13th place, 100 breaststroke: Andrew Liu - 1:06.02
The eight SSA swimmers who earned WPIAL medals above also qualified to compete in those five events at the PIAA Class 2A Championships, held March 13-14 at Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pa.
Congratulations to all of the swimmers who competed at WPIALs and to Head Coach John Landreth. Good luck at states!