On Saturday, Nov. 7, the Shady Side Academy Middle School Science Olympiad team placed seventh out of 142 teams during the remote Scilympiad Practice Invitational.
The following Middle School students placed in the top 20 in their events:
- Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 3rd in Reach for the Stars
- Ethan Hou, Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 5th in Experiment & Data
- Jeffrey Brunner and Evan Xiang: 7th in Mousetrap Vehicle
- Ethan Hou and Rohan Shrishrimal: 8th in Water Quality
- Sophia Jho and Hari Viswanathan: 16th in Fossils
- Ethen Chen and Shaurya Gulati: 17th in Crime Busters
- Anna Apetrei-Pandrea and Ethan Chen: 18th in Disease Detectives
- Maya Agarwal and Sophia Jho: 19th in Orinthology
Science Olympiad is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers.
Congratulations to the team and their coaches, Middle School science teachers Bonnie Maxwell and John Matia!