On Saturday, Jan. 9, the Shady Side Academy Middle School Science Olympiad team placed 15th out of 84 teams in Division B (grades 6-9) at the virtual Rustin Invitational.
The following students earned top 14 finishes in their events, including three first-place winners:
- Sophia Gombos and Evan Xiang: 1st for Elastic Launch Gliders
- Anna Apetrei-Pandrea and Ethan Hou: 1st for Mission Possible
- Anna Apetrei-Pandrea and Ethan Hou: 1st for Ping Pong Parachute
- Jeffrey Brunner and Evan Xiang: 2nd for Mousetrap Vehicle
- Ethan Hou, Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 3rd for Experimental Design
- Jeffrey Brunner and Evan Xiang: 4th for Boomilever
- Diya Shrishrimal and Chloe Wang: 5th for Botany
- Ethan Hou and Rohan Shrishrimal: 5th for Water Quality
- Diya Shrishrimal and Chloe Wang: 6th for Home Horticulture
- Ethan Chen and Shaurya Gulati: 7th for Crime Busters
- Sophia Gombos and Evan Xiang: 7th for Meteorology
- Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 8th for Reach for the Stars
- Sophia Jho and Hari Viswanathan: 9th for Heredity
- Anna Apetrei-Pandrea, Ethan Chen and Evan Xiang: 10th for Code Busters
- Sophia Jho and Hari Viswanathan: 12th for Fossils
Science Olympiad is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers.
Congratulations to the team and its coaches, Middle School science teachers Bonnie Maxwell, Matt Brunner and Paul Waked, as well as Chris Erler.