On Saturday, Nov. 14, the Shady Side Academy Middle School Science Olympiad team placed 10th out of 60 participating schools during the virtual Dodgen-Walton Invitational.
The following students placed in the top 10 in their events, including three teams who earned first place:
- Ethan Hou, Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 1st place: Experimental Design
- Ethan Hou and Rohan Shrishrimal: 1st place: Water Quality
- Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 1st place: Write It CAD It
- Shaurya Gulati and Andrew Zeng: 3rd place: Density Lab
- Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 4th place: Reach for the Stars
- Jeffrey Brunner and Evan Xiang: 6th place: Mousetrap Vehicle
- Maya Agarwal and Sophia Jho: 7th place: Ornithology
- Sophia Jho and Hari Viswanathan: 8th place: Fossils
- Elliott Scheri and Sophia Jho: 9th place: Heredity
Science Olympiad is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers.
Congratulations to the team and their coaches, Middle School science teachers Bonnie Maxwell, Matt Brunner and Paul Waked and Chris Erler.