On Saturday, Feb. 13, the Shady Side Academy Middle School Science Olympiad team placed sixth out of 73 teams in Division B (grades 6-9) at the virtual Eagle Invitational.
The following students earned top 13 finishes in their events, including one first-place team.
- Anna Apetrei-Pandrea and Neyla Hinedi: 1st for Mission Possible
- Ethan Hou, Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 2nd for Experimental Design
- Jeffrey Brunner and Evan Xiang: 2nd for Mousetrap Vehicle
- Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 3rd for Reach for the Stars
- Sophia Gombos and Evan Xiang: 4th for Meteorology
- Maya Agarwal and Ariya Nahata: 4th for Scribble This:
- Ethan Chen and Evan Xiang: 5th for Crave the Wave
- Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 5th for Reach for the Stars
- Hanna Singhi and Sunny Zhao:6th for Scribble This
- Ethan Hou and Rohan Shrishrimal: 7th for Water Quality
- Anna Apetrei-Pandrea, Ethan Chen and Evan Xiang: 8th for Codebusters
- Sophia Gombos and Sophia Jho: 9th for Road Scholar
- Sophia Jho and Hari Viswanathan: 10th for Fossils
- Shaurya Gulati, and Andrew Zeng: 13th for Density Lab
Science Olympiad is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers.
Congratulations to the team and its coaches, Middle School science teachers Bonnie Maxwell, Matt Brunner and Paul Waked, as well as Chris Erler.