On Saturday, Jan. 23, the Shady Side Academy Middle School Science Olympiad team placed 11th out of 82 teams in Division B (grades 6-9) at the virtual Solon Invitational.
The following students earned top 15 finishes in their events, including one first-place winner.
- Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 1st for Write It CAD It
- Sophia Gombos and Evan Xiang: 2nd for Meteorology
- Ethan Chen and Shaurya Gulati: 4th for Crime Busters
- Ethan Hou and Rohan Shrishrimal: 4th for Water Quality
- Ethan Hou, Rohan Shrishrimal and Hari Viswanathan: 6th for Experimental Design
- Anna Apetrei-Pandrea, Ethan Chen and Evan Xiang: 12th for Codebusters
- Sophia Jho and Hari Viswanathan: 14th for Fossils
- Sophia Gombos and Sophia Jho: 14th for Road Scholar
- Shaurya Gulati and Andrew Zeng: 15th for Density Lab
Science Olympiad is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers.
Congratulations to the team and its coaches, Middle School science teachers Bonnie Maxwell, Matt Brunner and Paul Waked, as well as Chris Erler.