The Middle School Science Olympiad Team finished in third place out of 30 teams in Division B (grades 6-9) at the Science Olympiad at Pitt Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 21. Three student teams earned first-place finishes in their events.
The following students received awards for their events:
- Alex Bi and Ethan Chen: 1st place for Disease Detectives
- Evan Chen and Anna Grace Schultz: 1st place for Fast Facts
- Vivan Podar and Thomas Wang: 1st place for Sounds of Music
- Alex Bi and Evan Xiang: 2nd place for Anatomy and Physiology
- Evan Chen and Thomas Wang: 2nd place for Can't Judge a Powder
- Vivan Podar and Anna Grace Schultz: 2nd place for Road Scholar
- Allison Guan and Evan Xiang: 2nd place for Storm the Castle
- Alex Bi and Vivan Podar: 3rd place for Crave the Wave
- Alex Bi and Anna Litster: 3rd place for Dynamic Planet
- Ethan Chen, Allison Guan and Evan Xiang: 3rd place for Experimental Design
- Evan Xiang and Vivan Podar: 3rd place for Meteorology
- Vivan Podar and Evan Xiang: 3rd place for Roller Coaster
- Anna Litster and Chloe Wang: 4th place for Bioprocess
- Ellie Laman and Anna Litster: 5th place for Bridge
- Allison Guan and Evan Xiang: 5th place for Flight
- Noa Litwin and Alyssa Zhang: 5th place for Forestry
Science Olympiad is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the quality of K-12 science education, increasing male, female and minority interest in science, creating a technologically-literate workforce and providing recognition for outstanding achievement by both students and teachers.
Congratulations to the team and their coaches, Middle School science teachers Bonnie Maxwell, Matt Brunner and Paul Waked, as well as Chris Erler.