Equity & Inclusion Action Plan
At Shady Side Academy, we recognize our responsibility to ensure all community members feel welcomed, supported and appreciated. In the summer of 2020, we listened intently to more than 450 community members as they shared their stories and concerns. From those listening sessions and with much reflection, we created our Equity & Inclusion Action Plan as a framework to affect positive cultural change at SSA. With the support of the Board of Trustees, the plan was announced to the SSA community on July 15, 2020.
Knowing that sustainable change takes time, the plan is ongoing and takes a multi-year and multi-generational approach. With the support of our parents, students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members, we have made great strides to improve our community’s ability to be more equitable and inclusive. Our Equity & Inclusion Action Plan will continue to evolve, as we acknowledge that we still have much to learn and do. However, we are pleased to share the progress we've made through the end of the 2021-2022 school year.
Progress updates as of July 1, 2022, are bulleted under each action item in italics.
- To Advance Our Vision and Leadership, Shady Side Academy Will:
- To Create a More Inclusive School Climate and Culture, Shady Side Academy Will:
- To Ensure Our School Community Promotes Open and Civil Discourse, Shady Side Academy Will:
- To Make Certain Our School Community Better Represents Our Diverse City and World, Shady Side Academy Will:
- To Assess Our Progress and Ensure Accountability, Shady Side Academy Will:
- To Sustain and Provide Financial Support for These Efforts, Shady Side Academy Will:
We recognize the need to continue conversation in support of these initiatives, with our whole community and especially our students, who we are preparing to lead responsibly and compassionately in a complex, diverse world. We look forward to the ways in which our coming together will help us augment and expand upon these action steps.