Policies and Forms
All SSA Summer policies and forms are included as part of the online registration process. If you completed these online forms while registering your child, you do not need to take further action.
For the convenience of our families, our policies and forms are available below for reference. If you would like to make any changes to the original information you provided, the forms below can be downloaded and emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 412-968-3213 or mailed to:SSA Summer Programs
Shady Side Academy
423 Fox Chapel Road
Pittsburgh PA, 15238
- Payment Policies
- Camp Rules
- Health and Medication
- Before/After Care & Arrival/Dismissal
- Summer School Enrollment
- Additional Policies
All forms below are mandatory and completed as part of the online registration process (except the Authorization for Medication and Bus Stop Supplementary Form). Copies are provided here for reference or if parents need to update information during the summer
Authorization for Medication - Mandatory only if taking prescription medication during camp hours; due June 1.
Bus Stop Supplementary Form - Bus reservations are included in the online registration process. However, to reserve a specific bus stop you must submit this form by June 1; families who do not express a stop preference will be assigned a stop.
Important Payment Dates, Deposits and Cancellations
Full payment for all summer programs is due no later than May 31, 2017. Please read the deposit and cancellation information below.
Space in SSA Summer programs is limited, therefore, a non-refundable deposit of 20% of the full tuition rate is required at the time of registration to hold the spot.
- Canceled registrations are eligible for a refund minus 20% through March 31, 2017.
- Canceled registrations are eligible for a refund minus 20% and a $50 administrative fee (per registration canceled) through May 31, 2017.
- After June 1, canceled registrations are eligible for a 50% refund.
- After the start of the registered program, no refunds are given.
- Registrations received after May 31, 2017 are due in full.
Shady Side Academy will do its best to facilitate installments for families wishing to pay throughout the winter and spring. In order to establish and approve a plan, families must speak to a representative from the SSA Summer office before registering. Please note, full payment for all payment plans is due by May 31, 2017. Failure to meet payment schedules will result in loss of all discounts.
Payments received after May 31, 2017, will incur a 10% penalty charge based on the registered tuition rate. Payments after June 19, 2017 will incur a 20% penalty charge, and may disqualify families from enrolling in future SSA Summer programs. There will also be a $50 charge for any returned checks.
AbsencesTo maintain proper records and ensure the safety of our campers and staff, please notify the SSA Summer office at 412-447-2230 of any absences from camp. There are no credits or refunds due to illness or absence.
SSA Summer ascribes to the Guiding Principles of Shady Side Academy: Honesty, Kindness, Responsibility, Respect and Safety. It’s paramount that campers act accordingly and participate as good citizens in the SSA Summer community.
Things that are never okay at camp:
- Hitting, shoving, pushing or physical violence
- Verbal abuse, offensive language or bullying
- Lying or manipulating the truth
- Stealing or taking things without asking
- Destroying property
- Possessing, using or distributing drugs or alcohol
- Bringing weapons of any kind to camp
- Ignoring counselor or staff directions
Consequences at camp:
We expect all campers to demonstrate care, respect and responsibility at all times; campers must also exhibit self-control, kindness and follow instructions. Campers who do not follow the rules will be asked to take responsibility for their actions. We understand that children make mistakes, and therefore allow a “Three Strikes” disciplinary protocol.
- If a camper breaks a rule, s/he will receive a verbal warning from a counselor or camp director.
- If the camper ignores the verbal warning and continues with poor behavior, both the camper and a parent/guardian may be asked to meet with the camp director to help the camper make a constructive plan for improved behavior.
- If, after the meeting, the camper still does not follow the camp rules, s/he may be suspended and/or asked to leave the program. In this case, a refund will not be issued.
In extreme cases, to ensure the safety of the camp community, the camp director(s) reserve the right to expel campers at their own discretion. In this situation, the “Three Strikes” policy will not apply, and refunds will not be provided.
Support your child(ren)! Parents are also responsible for the success and safety of their campers. We thank you in advance for taking the time to help ensure that each child has an optimal camp experience.
- Notify SSA Summer in advance if your child has any specific learning, emotional, social, medical, behavioral or special needs. Please refer to the SSA Summer Health Form for more information.
- Keep children home from camp when they are ill and/or pick them up if they become sick at camp. Campers must be 24 hours fever-free without medication before they can return to camp.
- Only parents and guardians may bring medications to camp, and they should do so before camp begins. Our nurses can only accept labeled prescription medicines in original containers and will distribute during the day as required. For the well-being of all children, please do not use camp as a time to transition a camper off of medications.
- Respect our hard-working staff by ensuring timeliness at drop-off and pick-up.
- Please regularly check the email address you provided during registration to stay apprised of all news, events, and information at camp.
- For the safety of all children, parents and guardians are not permitted to visit campers during the camp day. If an emergency arises and you must contact your child(ren) please contact our camp office so we can immediately assist you.
For your convenience, we have provided a copy of our Health Form, which is included as part of the online registration process. If you have registered your child online, you need take no further action. To discuss any health matters, please call Nathan Verbanets, director of summer programs, at 412-447-2230.
Medication During Camp
If your child has ANY medication that is needed during camp hours, then a valid Authorization for Medication must be filled out, signed by a doctor or licensed prescriber and submitted to our SSA Summer office. All medications, including epi-pens and inhalers, must be given to the camp nurse by a parent or legal guardian and only the nurse may distribute these during camp. Any loose medications must be in a properly-labeled prescription bottle or original packaging.
SSA Summer offers a 5% early-bird discount until March 15, 2017. The online registration prices reflect this discount. The early-bird discount is valid for any SSA Summer program, except transportation, after care, for credit or high school level summer school courses, golf camp, and the Handwork Studio Camps. Any changes made to a completed registration after March 15, 2017, will result in the loss of the early-bird discount. Failure to fulfill payment plans on time will result in the loss of any discounts.
Three Sibling Discount
Families who register three or more children for an SSA Summer program will receive an additional 10% discount. Please contact Nathan Verbanets at 412-447-2230 to receive this additional discount as it is not automatically applied. The discount does not apply to high school level summer courses, transportation, or the Handwork Studio camps.
SSA Faculty & Staff Discount
If you are a Shady Side Academy faculty or staff member and interested in registering your child(ren), please contact Nathan Verbanets at 412-447-2230 by May 1, 2017. This discount will expire on May 1, 2017.
In order to provide more flexibility for busy families, we offer free before-care beginning at 7:30 a.m. for most camps; free before-care for East End Explorers Day Camp begins at 8 a.m..
After-care runs from 4:15 until 6 p.m. at a cost of $10 per day. You must register for after-care during the online registration process only. You will be billed at the end of each two week session.
Note: After-care families arriving after 6 p.m. will incur an additional $25 late pick-up fee. If late pick-up occurs repeatedly, it may be considered grounds for dismissal from the after-care program at the discretion of the director of summer programs without refund. Continued late pick-ups may also result in additional fees and disqualify families from enrolling in future SSA Summer programs.
Regular camp arrival time is between 8:45 and 9 a.m., and regular dismissal time is between 4 and 4:15 p.m.
Late Arrivals: To ensure the safety of all campers and staff, all campers arriving after 9 a.m. must check in with the SSA Summer office in the gym immediately upon arrival.Early Dismissals: All early dismissals must be completed by 3:30 p.m. and be arranged through the SSA Summer office. All children leaving early must be picked up from the SSA Summer office.
Email and Communication
Once registered, communication to families regarding camp is sent electronically via email. During the registration process, please make certain to provide your preferred email address. Please notify our office of any updates during the year. Parents and guardians can contact us at 412-447-2230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lost and Found
The SSA Summer Lost and Found is located in the gymnasiums on all three SSA campuses. At the Senior School it is located in the lower hallway of Curry Gym on the wooden shelves. At the Middle School and Junior School it is located within the gym. Lost and Found will be cleared out on August 14, 2017. All left items will be donated to charity.