Two Ways to Board
Five-Day and Seven-Day Boarding Options
Some of our Senior School students get their first taste of independence when they become boarders in our program. Structured independence in a safe, nurturing environment is what makes Shady Side’s boarding program unique. The program provides a preview of college life and helps make that transition an easy one.
Students can board with us for five days, arriving on Sunday after 1 p.m. and traveling home on Friday afternoons, or they may board full-time. Either way, the Shady Side Academy boarding program provides:
- Adult supervision in a family environment
- After-hours access to Academy facilities such as the gym, pool, the Hillman Center for Performing Arts, Benedum Visual Arts Center and McKnight Hockey Center
- After-hours access to teachers
- Evening cultural and event excursions on campus
- Life skills programs designed to help students mature into decisive, ethical young adults
- The opportunity to establish life-long friendships
- A Friday night boarding option for students regardless of whether a five- or seven-day boarder
We treat our community of boarders as an extended family that studies, learns, works, plays and grows together. All of this take place in a supportive, 24-hour environment staffed by adults who are dedicated to the success and well-being of each individual.