Best of Both Worlds
Some of our Senior School students get their first taste of independence when they become boarders in our Five-Day Boarding Program. Most think it’s the best of both worlds—weekends with the family and weekdays to concentrate on school and spend extra time with their teachers and peers. Structured independence in a safe, nurturing environment is what makes Shady Side’s boarding program unique. The program provides a preview of college life and helps make that transition an easy one.
The Shady Side Academy Five-Day Boarding Program provides:
- Adult supervision in a family environment
- After-hours access to Academy facilities such as the gym, pool, the Hillman Center for Performing Arts, Benedum Visual Arts Center, and McKnight Hockey Center
- After-hours access to learning resources and teachers
- Evening cultural and event excursions on campus and around the Greater Pittsburgh region
- Life skills programs designed to help students mature into decisive, ethical young adults
- The opportunity to establish life-long friendships
We treat our community of boarders as an extended family that studies, learns, works, plays and grows together. All of this take place in a supportive, 24-hour environment staffed by adults who are dedicated to the success and well-being of each individual.