Our school values the assistance of its parents, who partner with us, share our core values, understand our mission and support our curriculum, faculty, staff and administration through extensive volunteer activities and events. Parents recognize that effective partnerships are characterized by clearly defined responsibilities, a shared commitment to collaboration, open lines of communication, mutual respect and trust, and a common vision of the goals to be reached. Learn more through the links below.
There are several ways to get involved at the Junior School:
- Book Fair – Once a year the librarian plans a Book Fair for all students. Volunteers are needed to set up, assist during the event, and clean up after it is over.
- Homeroom Parents – Each homeroom PK-5 has parents who volunteer to assist during special events and parties. They may also be asked to begin a phone chain to share important announcements.
- Family Night – Once a year an event is held at a local venue for all Junior School families. Volunteers are needed to plan for, participate in, and clean up after this event.
- PK/K Center Volunteers – Opportunities are available for parents to help in centers in our pre-kindergarten building and in our kindergarten classrooms.
- Read With Students – First grade teachers plan for parent volunteers to read with children during the normal school day.
- Share Professional Knowledge – Many parents avail themselves to our faculty as resources. We have had physicians, geologists, engineers and others come into classrooms and do a presentation for our students.
Parents as Partners
Learn more about how parents play a critical role in the educational process at Shady Side Academy, read the Parent-School Covenant, access archived copies of the bi-weekly Parents' E-Newsletter and more.
Parent Portal (current parent login required)
Access your child's report cards, important school news and announcements, downloadable school handbooks and forms, Parents Association information and more. Current parents must log in to access their personal portal page.
Parents' Association (current parent login required)
An important partner in the educational process, the Parents' Associations support the entire Shady Side Academy community: children, faculty, administration and fellow parents. Current parents must log in to access the Parents' Association page behind the Parent Portal.
View slideshows of pictures from recent Junior School events.