The Chinese Language Teachers Association of Western Pennsylvania (CLTA-WPA) hosted its first Students Excellent Chinese Writing competition this spring, and 10 Shady Side Academy Senior and Middle School students were recognized with writing awards. The competition was open to students in grades 6-12, and required submission of an essay written in Chinese on a topic related to their classroom Chinese study.
The awards ceremony was held at Sewickley Academy on April 1, 2017. CLTA-WPA board members handed out award certificates, and Chinese culture performances celebrated the occasion. SSA seventh and eighth grade Chinese students performed a traditional Chinese folk song, What a Wonderful Jasmine Flower, as Chinese instruments were played by sophomores Jonathan Hung (pi pa), Sonya Hammer (gu zhen), seventh grader Katy Appleman (violin) and sixth grader Anya Hammer (er hu).
The following Senior School students received Excellent Writing Awards in Category III (High School Intermediate to Advanced Level):
- Julie Staley (junior, Chinese 5A)
- Fuad Youssef (junior, Chinese 5A)
- Alexandra Muracca (junior, Chinese 5A)
- Christopher Fong (junior, Chinese 4A)
- Jonathan Hung (sophomore, Chinese 3A)
- Caroline Barkman (sophomore, Chinese 3A)
- Connor Leemhuis (sophomore, Chinese 3A)
The following Middle School students received Excellent Writing Awards in Category I (Middle School Grades 6-8):
- Rory Engel (8th grade, Chinese 1)
- Jason Vasko (8th grade, Chinese 1)
- Nick Zana (8th grade, Chinese 1)
Congratulations to all of the students and to Middle and Senior School Chinese teachers Mady Fong, Linna Lam and Xiaoxia Xu!