Shady Side Academy is proud to announce that the 125 members of the Class of 2017 will attend 72 of the nation's finest colleges and universities next fall. Some notable college matriculation statistics for the Class of 2017:
- Accepted to 176 colleges
- Attending 72 colleges in 26 states plus Washington, D.C.
- 69% will attend college out of state
- 100% of those seeking merit scholarships were offered awards ranging from $2,000 to $50,000+ per year
- 1 will attend a U.S. service academy
- 10% will attend an Ivy League school
- 11% will attend a US News & World Report Top 10 National University or Liberal Arts College
- 62% will attend a US News & World Report Top 50 National University or Liberal Arts College
- 20% will attend a Times Higher Education Top 25 World University
- 46% will attend a college ranked "most competitive" by Barron's Profile of American Colleges
- 17% will compete in NCAA collegiate athletics
These college decisions are the culmination of an educational journey at Shady Side Academy that challenges students to think expansively, act ethically and lead responsibly. Through a rigorous and balanced curriculum of academics, arts and athletics, and a unique culture of faculty-student mentorship, SSA ensures its graduates have the discipline, drive and intellect to shine brightly wherever they to go next. A quick snapshot of the Class of 2017's SSA experience:
- 25 are "lifers" who attended SSA from grades K-12
- 17% participated in the Senior School boarding program
- 17% were recognized by the National Merit Scholarship program
- 42% completed an independent study or senior project
- 22% participated in an international or off-campus program
- 78% lettered in at least one varsity sport; 41% lettered in two or more
- 49% participated in the performing arts (theatre production or musical ensemble)
Below are the 72 colleges and universities the members of the Class of 2017 have chosen to attend (number of attendees in parentheses if more than one):
Allegheny College (3)
SSA's College Counseling Office and its three full-time college counselors are dedicated to assisting students in finding "best fit" colleges and universities that will nurture their abilities and undiscovered talents, while allowing them to realize their career aspirations.
Congratulations and best wishes to all of our 2017 graduates!