The Shady Side Academy girls swimming team finished in fourth place and won medals in five events at the 2016-2017 PIAA Class AA Swimming Championships, held at Bucknell University March 16-17.
Fresh off their WPIAL Class AA Championship, the girls' team earned a total of 123 points, with swimmers competing in eight different events. SIx members of the SSA boys swimming team also competed in three events.
Medals are awarded to 1st-8th place finishers in each event, while 9th-16th place are place-winners.
Girls' Results - 4th Place Team Finish
- 200 Freestyle Relay – The team of senior Ashley Azzarello and juniors Heather Grune, Meredith Cummings and Lindsey Grune finished second to win a silver medal (1:37.51).
- 400 Freestyle Relay – The team of Cummings, H. Grune, junior Jeanne Lauer and L. Grune finished second to win a silver medal (3:34.83).
- 100 Backstroke - Azzarello finished 5th to win a medal (57:69); Lauer finished 21st (1:00.34).
- 100 Freestyle – L. Grune finished eighth to win a medal (53:09).
- 200 Individual Medley – L. Grune finished eighth to win a medal (2:08.33); Lauer was a place-winner, finishing 16th (2:12.66); H. Grune finished 18th (2:12.99).
- 200 Medley Relay – The team of Lauer, freshman Maya Groff, Azzarello and Cummings was a place-winner, finishing ninth (1:50.37).
- 100 Breaststroke – Groff finished 17th (1:07.68).
- 100 Butterfly – Cummings finished 20th (59:59); Azzarello finished 25th (1:00.05).
- 200 Freestyle Relay – The team of senior Gannon Leech, senior William Lu, junior Sevryn Napora and sophomore Adrian Beckford finished 22nd (1:33.19).
- 400 Freestyle Relay - The team of sophomore Nick Lauer, Lu, senior Zac Coughlin and Leech finished 20th (3:24.34).
- 500 Freestyle - Coughlin finished 23rd (4:57.85)
Congratulations to Head Coach John Landreth and all of the swimmers on another fantastic season!